Welcome to the dRC Veteran’s page. We are dedicated to helping to provide resources, news updates and upcoming events to encourage independent living to our military community.
The new VA clinic by the airport in Wilmington’s phone number is 910-343-5300.
Information on obtaining military ID cards.
The process is as follows: All appointments are made on line. Contact https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil. Then search for Wilmington, NC and follow the on line prompts. Enter all of your information and you will receive an e-mail confirmation of your appointment.
Important message to Children of Vietnam Veterans
Vietnam Veterans of America Agent Orange/Dioxin Committee is asking the children of Vietnam veterans exposed to Agent Orange; adult children (we recommend you register your children also) who are ill and/or have birth defects, learning disabilities and/or mental health issues; to register with Birth Defect Research for Children, Inc. National Birth Defect Registry.
Participation in the registry includes:
- Completing an online questionnaire which can be found at this link: http://www.birthdefects.org/registry/
- The questionnaire will ask about you (the child) or your disabilities; health and family history of both parents; exposures during pregnancy and occupational exposures.
- A special section will ask about the veteran’s service in Vietnam. This section was designed in collaboration with the New Jersey State Agent Orange Commission.
- Collected data will be used for a study of the pattern of birth defects and disabilities that have been most frequently reported in the children of Vietnam veterans.
- All data are confidential. Your permission would be requested before any researcher would get in touch with you.
A new veteran support group is starting up March 7 and will meet every Thursday from 1-2PM each week.
This is a completely confidential and self run meeting for Veterans and
Active Duty personnel to discuss and attempt to resolve or lessen military service connected issues.
For those of any era, any branch of service, any type of discharge.
Thursdays 1300(1PM Air Force time) – 1400(2PM)
Vietnam Veterans of America meeting room @801 Princess Place
(corner of 8th & Princess)
For more information contact:
Desert Storm Combat Veteran
Mary Skov 910-264-6936(cell)
[available for individual peer support also]
In an effort to reduce Veteran unemployment, the VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011 was passed and signed into law last November. Included in this new law is the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP) for unemployed 35 to 60 year old Veterans, which will begin on July 1, 2012 – we will begin accepting applications on May 15, 2012.
VRAP offers 12 months of training assistance to 99,000 unemployed Veterans who are at least 35 years old but no older than 60. Eligible participants will receive up to 12 months of training assistance at the full-time payment rate under the Montgomery GI Bill–Active Duty program (currently $1,473 per month). DOL will offer employment assistance to every Veteran who participates or applies to the VRAP program. You can learn more about VRAP here.
- VA's Homeless Vet Support Deadline Causes Concern
- US Warns Russia Over Ukraine as Moscow Announces Military Exercises
- US Reviewing Plans for Fewer Troops in Afghanistan
- Army Colonel Was Suspended Over Insensitivity Claims
- Judge to Mull Chelsea Manning Name Change Request
- Sudan Again Found Liable for Attack on USS Cole
- GI Who May Have Killed Tillman Haunted by Remorse
- Yemen: Airstrike Targets Al-Qaida Training Camps
- Dozens Denied Navy Base Access Due to Past Crimes
- South Korean President: Ferry Crew Actions 'Murderous'
- Victims of Lejeune toxic water meet skepticism at Supreme Court
- State Dept. says Egypt cleared for U.S. military aid
- Piece of 'Band of Brothers' gets new commander
- Hagel seeking to deepen U.S.-Mexico ties
- Welsh: Afghanistan could create 'meaningful' aerospace industry
- Obama: U.S.-Japan treaty applies to disputed islands
- Discharged Marine regrets crucifying himself in public
- Soldier accused of killing teens in Iraq
- Altus selected for KC-46A training
- First soldiers from the 173rd arrive in Poland
- FDA warns maker of controversial workout supplement Craze
- Spy plane outlasts Cold War, but not defense cuts
- Judge grants Manning's name change request
- First lady announcing one-stop job site for vets
- Navy vet, 92, finally gets medals
- 2 years in jail for misusing money for homeless vets
- Obama visit to Asia seen as counterweight to China
- Recruits trending older in U.S. military
- 4 Army units heading to Eastern Europe
- McChrystal tells of his recovery after getting hit with 'career curve ball'
- 2 years in jail for misusing money for homeless vets
- Top VA official questions use of term 'Gulf War illness'
- Interview: 5 questions for the naked veteran
- Express Scripts to continue as Tricare prescription provider
- On-base fast food outlets get temporary reprieve from new wage rules
- Obama vows to continue focus on veterans issues
- Kevlar for the Mind: Antidepressant works on chemical in brain
- Tricare Help: Sorting out Medicare, Tricare before age 65
- Consumer Watch: Short sale on a home can have unplanned consequences
- New company to handle shipping private vehicles
- Army couple in documentary told from caregiver's point of view
- 'Complex' report on allotments now 3 months late
- Congress unhappy with DoD, VA health records progress
- Patients rate VA medical centers high for satisfaction
- Military hotline aids sexual assault victims
- Tricare presents plan for re-enrolling some in Prime
- Your medical files may be at risk
- Anonymous online counseling for vets shows early success
- White House unveils expanded support for military, vets' caregivers
- Homeless vets in rural areas lack options, advocates say
- Independent 2013 Survey Shows Veterans Highly Satisfied with VA Care
- VA Researchers Receive Nation's Top Award for Early Career Scientists
- VA Hosts Senior International Forum and Ministerial Summit on Veterans Affairs
- VA Hosts Forum on Veterans' Legal Needs
- VA Kicks Off Disabled Veterans Winter Sports Clinic
- Disability Claims Backlog Reduced by 44 Percent Since Peaking One Year Ago
- VA Removes Annual Income Reporting Requirement